Military and Veterans Research
The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work conducts state-of-the-art research using the latest technology developments and scientific thinking to enhance the health and well-being of service members, veterans, and their families through its Center for Innovation and Research on Veterans & Military Families.
The USC Center for Innovation and Research on Veterans & Military Families (CIR) conducts and disseminates educational and behavioral health research relevant to the long-term health and well-being of service members, veterans and their families. Our approach includes identifying critical and emerging issues, and fostering collaboration among our faculty and other experts who share a commitment to improving programs and policies that serve those who have served us. Statistics reveal the harrowing after-effects of war. Returning service members face everything from post-traumatic stress disorder, marital problems, traumatic brain injury, and/or substance abuse, among other challenges. Real research leads to real, evidence-based solutions. And with more and more service members returning to their families and communities every day, the time for solutions is now.
Academic Excellence & Scholarship by the Numbers 2017-2018
- 23 faculty specializing in military social work research
- More than $2.7 million in funding from government agencies, foundations and corporate grants, gifts, and sponsorships
- More than $4.5 million in newly funded research projects, more than $7.5 million in continuing research projects and more than $13 million in research proposals under review
- 17 published manuscripts and 9 manuscripts under review
- 3 published books and 7 book chapters
- 12 conference presentations
- Scientific Achievement Award for Research and Technology Group on Military Suicides, NATO Human Factors and Medicine Panel
- Gersoni Award, Outstanding contribution for research accomplishment in the area of military psychology. The Society of Military Psychology, American Psychological Association